Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You know its fall in Ukraine

when you eat pickled watermelon, pickled apples, pickled pig ears, pickled cabbage, pickled EVERYTHING!
Now, I know its not gourmet or anything, it may even sound gross to many of you but it is very Ukrainian and very tasty if you just give it a try. You may ask, "How in the world do they pickle watermelons??!!?" I dont know. All I know they are sweet and salty, and I really wish I had them when I was pregnant. We bought a small pickled watermelon, and that was our lunch! (along with some pickled pig ears) Ok. So you dont take an ear and start chomping on it. Its cut in very thin strips, pickled in various spices and served with Korean carrots (which are a dish in itself). If cartilage is your kind of thing, pig ears are for you!

Oh, the fall time in Ukraine!

No comments: